Hello all,Welcome to an interview with the amazing photographer bwaworga, hopefully some of her words can help inspire you, as they did me bwaworga
is an outstanding portrait photographer based in Indonesia, most of you have likely stumbled upon some of the amazing work she has shared with our community. She is a bright and loving girl, with amazing skill.
1. When did you first start photography, and why?
I started probably around the end of 2009. It's funny actually, me and my family had plan to travel abroad and I was thinking "I have to take good pictures when we travel." Good picture = big camera =dslr, so that's the first time I bought my own camera, a canon 1000D. Of course if I want to get nice pictures I need to learn how to use it.. so I began to search on internet the camera setting, try to understand what ISO, speed and apperture are, and I started to capture flowers and things in front of my house. Since then my interest and passion for photography keeps growing and growing and I just can't stop.
2. What are the most difficult challenges you have faced during your time as a photographer?
Time management & making connections.
Time management: I'm not a full time photographer, I only do photography on weekdays so I need to work extra hard to manage everything including my work, my photographer life, my family, my models, creative people I work with, and my clients.
I live in a small city name Manado, it's far from the capital city Jakarta where all the fashion industry and basically everything is located. There are no model agencies here, no magazine companies, no brands. This is just a small town. Though it is a lovely town with beautiful nature, but for making connections to get more exposure on my works thankfully there is social media that can help me to grow.
3. What advice do you have for amateurs who are inspired by your amazing work? Any tips on how they can improve?
Practice and practice, and shoot what you love.
4. Do you have any projects, or news related to your work, that you'd like to share with the community?
Yes, I have some projects coming up. I have 3 company brands lookbook photoshoots, and 2 magazine editorial photoshoots coming up the next one or two weeks
I'm pretty much pumped and excited about these projects.
5. What do you think is the most important thing when it comes to creating art?
The most important thing for me is to have fun, art is fun.
6. What camera and other tools do you usually use during your shoots? Do you use editing softwares? If so, which ones, and what kind of editing do you usually do?
I use a canon 5dmarkII and 3 lenses that I usually bring on photoshoots : canon 135mm f.2, 50mm f1.8 and 17-40mm f.4. I sometimes use speedlight but only if necessary because I always love natural light.
7. Do you have a picture from one of your first photos ever, so we can compare with how far you've grown since you began?
You can see it from my deviantart gallery
I basically grow with this community
8. What is your favorite thing about photography? What have been your best experiences?
With photography I feel like I can feel I am totally alive, it is the way I can express myself and show the world who I really am.